History of the Shenango Township Police Department
The Shenango Township Police Department was formed in June of 1958 with the hiring on Clarence Frampton as Police Chief and the only officer. Frampton was born on July 22, 1925 and passed away in July, 1984. He was also the Civil Defense Director of Lawrence County and a fire, rescue and judo instructor. He served the township until September of 1976, when he retired.
At that time David Rishel became Chief of Police. By this time the Department had grown to two full time and four part time officers. Rishel served as Chief of Police until January of 1988 when he was elected District Judge, an office he holds to this day.
Anthony ‘Lefty’ DeCarbo became the next Chief of Police following Rishel’s retirement in January of 1988 until he retired in March of 1998. Under DeCarbo the Police Department grew to four full time and four part time officers. Lefty currently lives in Ellwood City.
The next Chief was Alan Nocera. He entered office shortly after DeCarbo retired and served until April of 2008. The Department grew to six full time and two part time officers. Nocera retired and currently still lives in the Township.
Between April of 1998 and January of 2010, there were three different Officers in Charge. The Department remained at its previous levels of manpower.
In January of 2010 William Phillips was hired as Superintendent of Police. The Department has grown to six full time and five part time officers. In 2010 the Department assumed the responsibility of providing full time coverage to South New Castle Borough. Between January of 2010 and the present, the Department has added a Motor Carriers Safety Awareness Program, a dedicated Drug Enforcement Officer, a Sexual Assault/ Child Abuse Investigator and a K-9 Unit. The Department currently has six marked patrol vehicles and an unmarked unit.